Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dvz's re-intro from Sunny SoCal. RDFL.

Road Devil's Member

dvz's re-intro from Sunny SoCal. RDFL.

Hey Y'all-
    Though I've been with this club since, what, 2004(?), I have been in virtual hibernation for the past few years. Life has piled on, as it is known to do, but I want everyone to know I am among the living, and yes, I am a Road Devil.

Just a quick bio... Way back in '04, I happened to be looking for a certain individual who was said to be a SoCal Road Devil. In tracking him down, I became introduced to and intrigued with the Road Devils. Though I had never pledged with any club, I've been building and driving old tin since around 1976. Former RD Regional Pres Nick Bensen told me of the club and how, due to lack of leadership and participation, the SoCal chapter was no longer. This seemed tragic to me, given the history of the club and Hot Rodding's SoCal roots. Long story short, I talked Nick into giving me one year to stand up the SoCal chapter again. Indeed, my first club event was the 2004 Road Devils-sponsored Rockabilly Rod Reunion at the dragstrip in Las Vegas, and I trailered my 5.13 geared slicks-shod '40 Chevy Gasser Coupe, known as "The Devils' Grocery Getter" to the show. There is a story behind the name, but I will point out the plural possessive apostrophe in Devils' is meant to denote this heap is not ol' Scratch's ride, indeed it is the wheels-up, badass fat-fendered Poncho-powered coupe of the Road Devils car club.

I acted as Pres of the SoCal chapter for the first several years, but as life, health, times and faces changed, I stepped aside to give the chapter some fresh leadership. As mentioned, I have remained a member (definitely by the grace of both Local and Nat'l leadership) though my participation and visibility have waned. Today I must say, the SoCal chapter is as vital and strong as ever and the current chapter membership is top-notch. It is with great pride that I remember standing up SoCal in '04, and I am beyond elated to see the level of eagerness and participation that exists in SoCal today.

My ongoing love for this club, from Patrick all the way through the chapters has not changed. Over the past 9 years, I have written a back-page culture/music/opinion column for Koolhouse Publication's magazine "CarKulture DeLuxe" in which I often refer to my club. CKD may or may not be of your taste, but they have for almost a decade given me 100% free reign with my writing and subject matter, and those who read know, I am a Road Devil for life.

And I'm back. In spite of a brutal divorce, I still have the Grocery Getter, I still have my chopped '49 Chevy custom, I still have my tools and I still have every tattered Road Devils shirt I've owned over the past 13 years. I'm doing everything I can to drive the tired '49 to the 2017 World Run in June, and I am beyond eager to meet each and every attendee, and raise a glass. Thank you for indulging me, and thank you for having me. I am Dale Van Zant, and I am a...
    Road Devil For Life.

Road Devil's Member Joe LeCoupe's Avatar
    Well said Dale and we are all happy your back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road Devil's Member
    Well said brother. I love you.

Welcome back....see ya in June

Welcome back into the fold Dale. I look forward to finally meeting you.
    Jack
    Treasurer
    Pennsylvania Chapter

Whats up bro... See you soon
    ELWOOD
    a.k.a Chris Flynn

Hey i know this guy, glad to see you back

Road Devil's Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hey i know this guy, glad to see you back
    Muchos Besos, Paddy...
    xo

Fuckin A Brutha! Glad to see this post, or should I say wicked fuckin pissa kehd!
    Sgt. at Arms
    Boston RDCC
    Is minic a brhis beal duine a shorn.

Road Devil's National Officer LD39's Avatar
    Shake out the moth's brother, we'll raise those glasses shortly.
    National Vice President ROAD DEVILS C.C. OHIO