Thread: Reflections from TROG West Coast

Reflections from TROG West Coast

Its been just 1 week since the 1st West Coast Race of Gentlemen came to an end.This was years in the making and many thought it would never happen.The enviromental laws out here are alot stricter than the New Jersey location,everything costs far more and the Bureaucratic red tape stretches for miles.But somehow,they pulled it off and brought it to Pismo beach.

Ever since I saw coverage of the first races,I wanted to run my Phaeton and something about it called to me.Seeing a few of my friends make the trek cross country with their cars made it all worse.I tried to make a plan to ship or tow my car there,but either way would have been pretty expensive.Even if I flew out to watch the races,I knew it would kill me not to have my car there.

My hopes of racing across the sandy beaches of New Jersey were never to happen,but there was about to be light at the end of the tunnel.Earlier this year,they announced that The Race Of Gentlemen would be in Pismo Beach,just 4 hours from my home! Needless to say,I registered,got a hotel room lined up and told Nicole to take the days off work.My dream of participating in this event would finally become a reality and I couldn't have been happier..

Fast forward 8 months to October.With just 1 week before the races,the car was ready to go,but the weather for the weekend was looking a bit unstable.Rain and high tides were looking bad and it seemed like it may not happen.Over the course of 7 days,the weather changed pretty dramatically daily.No rain,some rain,rain only Sunday,low tides,high tides..Mama Nature was having her way with the central coast.

Thursday before the race,I loaded the car and hoped for the best.Friday morning the drizzle had stopped and the skies were clear.As we headed South along Hwy 101,it kept getting better and better.When we arrived in Pismo Beach,it was 75 and partly cloudy..Perfect weather.I took the car off the trailer and headed to the check-in area at the campground headquarters.This was my first taste of what the weekend would bring.Bitchin cars and bikes everywhere! Some familiar to me,some I had only seen in print or online.I met up with Joe and Kevin from SoCal and walked the campground with Nicole.We met a bunch of great people,some who had travelled across the country to be here.

Back at the hotel later that night,I turned on the local news to find out that a Northern storm was making its way South.This called for moderate rains and higher than anticipated tides.FUCK! Saturday morning,Race day was finally here!Everyone headed to the headquarters and got ready for a day of fun.We were told that there would be a delay getting onto the beach,since the tides were a bit high.They sent us to a staging area above the beach to wait it out.Just as we got there,it started to rain,light at first then into a steady down pour.1 hour turned into 2 hours,2 hours into 3 hours.I was soaked,in only shorts and a tshirt.I bagged the motor and closed up the tonneaus and joined the guys under Joes canopy to wait for the word.

Right around the beginning of the 4th hour,we were told to start em up and head to the beach.This was easier said than done.With 160 cars and bikes,it took a little over an hour to get down into the pits.The first bikes and cars got stuck in the freshly soaked sand and had to be pulled out.When I got to the entrance,there was a small downward hill onto the beach.I was told about the stuck cars before me and was given the advice to blast thought the bottom and into the pits without slowing down.I did just that and was happy someone got it on film!

Once in the pits,3 hours late,we were told the State Wildlife officers had to inspect the beach after the tides went out.They were looking for emdangered or protected species that could be harmed by the races.Thankfully,they found nothing and the races would begin! I took my place in the very long line to finally race.I was sitting in the car for what seemed like the entire day,soaked,cold and tired.At this point,all I wanted to do was get 1 run in and I would be happy.Suddenly,everything again came to a halt.The tide decided it missed us and came back for more..More waiting.During this wait,I was told by a friend involved with the promotion company that Sunday was off completely off,Saturday night bonfire and party were also cancelled and now we only had a 3 hour window for racing today.I was ready to throw in the towel(wish I had a dry one),as were alot of other guys.

As I sat there,tired and defeated,I looked down at the 4 letters across my chest "RDFL".I started thinking about Mark and the Socal crew who were waiting on Joe and I all day.Gino,who had come all the way from Australia to cheer us on,Prospect Ed and his buddy who drove 6 hours to stand in the rain,Big Steve who worked all day and got in his car for the 3 hour ride down,all the guys who were texting me from across the country wishing us luck.Thinking about what those 4 letters mean,"Respect,Dedication,Family and Loyalty",it pushed me to follow through with what I was there for..To represent not only my NorCal crew,but also to honor my Brothers and Sisters Worldwide,our FAMILY,and make them proud!

After what seemed like forever,I was at the starting line.The guy I was set up against has a pretty well known T roadster.I was a bit nervous lining up with him after seeing the car on Leno and hearing all about it online for years.As that flag dropped,all the days troubles were wiped away.As I blasted past him and crossed the finish line WAY ahead,It felt awesome.I went on to do 4 runs total.2 wins,2 losses.Each time more fun than the last.Really happy I stuck it out.

I know i've said this before,and will continue to for as long as I can.Everytime I put this shirt on my back and start up this car,I am thankful to have a club like ours behind me.

In the end,I try to be the best Brother I can be..Its all for my Family!

R.D.F.L.

Last edited by Brujo29; 10-22-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    =================================================
    President-Road Devils CC Nor-Cal Chapter

Road Devil's Member Joe LeCoupe's Avatar
    As usual Ed, very well said. I was proud to share the beach with you. You have always set the a great example of what a car club is about. You were my first contact with the club, and we built our cars at the same time bouncing issue off each other. And now to call you brother and to have both us accepted to race was truest amazing. The support from the crew was as satisfying as actually racing.
    My pop and Joe Brun had a blast hanging and playing a role in this crazy train that was Trog Pismo. While unloading their cars, Joe said that it was so nice to see club members travel so far to help keep two Pieces of crap old bangers running just to destroy them in front of strangers.

Till next year hopefully ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching Joe at 80 years old driving a 90 year old car was something i'll never forget! Salt of the Earth those old timers are,and they could teach the young bucks a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujo29 View Post
    Watching Joe at 80 years old driving a 90 year old car was something i'll never forget! Salt of the Earth those old timers are,and they could teach the young bucks a thing or two.

Did they get one of you in the Coupe too Joe?The ones I have seen of others entering the beach are some of my favorites of the weekend..

A little tear just welled up a bit, in the corner of my left eye. Good show chaps, jolly good show.
    chicken and biscuits

Funny thing Ed. I have not seen one video of me racing. It's one of 3 red freaking cars that raced you think it would stand out. And very few photos
    I guess I was not there. Doesn't matter, I don't need to be seen. I had fun doing what ever I did.

Well im home now after my epic trip to the states,yes I also was happy to go this event and catchup with everyone that made the effort to go,to Ed and Joe great job in representing the family,and I can only imagine how cool it would have been to out there in the sand .

See you all next year at the World Run,counting down the days....

Good seeing you and the Missus..See you again at World Run

That was the best weekend I've had in a long time. It was great to hang out with you, Joe, Mark, Mary, Steve, Gino, Ed and everyone else that made it out. The weather wasn't the best, but we made the best of it and I'll never forget it. Joe and I helped out with registration so they let me take my car on the beach on race day. (No racing, just pure fun). Here's a pic of Joe and I leaving the beach after pushing the stuck race cars out of the soft sand.
    14650464_10209975832287540_6797756624621984780_n.jpg