Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA chapter race car

PA chapter race car

I've already talked to some of you guys about this. A while back, I got this great idea that our chapter should have a project. After talking over some ideas, Jack, Evan and myself decided to go in as partners on this deal. So here is what we're doing:

Vintage racing is pretty popular in our general area. There are a bunch of different events that we'd like to potentially run: drags, dirt oval, etc. We're trying to come up with one car that we can run anywhere. Looking at the rules for the events where we want to run, we decided that we want to build a flathead powered roadster as cheap as possible.

As far as specifics, the plan is to build a 26/27 roadster on A rails with a 59AB motor and a late 40s open drive trans and rear. We've ended up with some pretty cool parts, but we've mostly bought whatever we found that could be had for a good deal. A big thanks goes out to Brad from Detroit for a great deal on a motor, and Geoff from Connecticut for transporting and babysitting our roadster body.

For the last couple of months we've been collecting parts and this past weekend we finally managed to put in some work. (more to come)
    aka: Brad Lehman
    President: Road Devils CC Pennsylvania

Front end mockup

We're trying to build this car on a shoe string budget. That means getting inventive where we can, rather than spending money. Case in point: using a dropped axle would add a couple hundred to the budget that we just don't have. Instead, we'll use a 39 Ford front end (we picked up a complete front end cheap), split the bones and run the spring behind the beam instead of on the top like the model A would have had. That should get the front of the car down a little in front.

We just used the basic speedway kit for the bungs and tie rod ends, along with some brackets that they refer to as "shock mount loops" or some such thing. The important thing is, the tie rod ends are a 7* taper. They won't seat correctly in a standard drilled hole. This ended up being a cheap way to avoid spending $80 for the proper tapered reamer.

We want to keep the factory model a wheelbase for our car, so before we do anything else, we locate the wishbones just like we would if we were keeping the spring over setup. This will make sure that we keep the axle in the stock position when we move the front crossmember. We just happened to luck out and there was a hole on each frame rail that we could use to locate the wishbone hangers.

After cleaning the rails top and bottom, we picked a point just ahead of the firewall to pinch the rails in. Here you can see that we're using the cross braces that we added to the frame to guide the reciprocating saw to cut through the top and bottom flanges of the frame rail. This worked pretty well.

We opted to just cut the front crossmember out since we were going to need to narrow it anyway.
    Last edited by Antiwork; 03-20-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Front suspension continued

We ended up pinching the rails about 4" total at the front crossmember. This was an optional step, but since we were already going to be sliding the front crossmember back to go spring behind, it just seemed to make sense to go the extra mile.

I really wish we had access to a nice frame table, but we don't... so we make do with what we got. What we got is a string, a plumb bob and a level. It seems like we ended up pretty close.

It's important to note that the ratchet strap proved to be a bad idea for pulling in the frame rails. It doesn't pull in evenly top and bottom, so it ends up tweaking the rails out. Luckily we caught the error before we welded things up. We ended up using a long piece of all thread, which worked pretty well.

This should be pretty close to ride height. It's kind of difficult to get a sense of things.. my model a coupe project is in the way just out of the frame.

Looks pretty clean. No frame horns hanging out there. Everything tucks away behind the grille shell. By the way, we're only using that Model A shell for mockup purposes. We'll end up running some sort of track nose in the final product.

Road Devil's Member Joe LeCoupe's Avatar
    This is a great thing... Mark and I have played with making a dry lakes car.
    Glad someone is putting the work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Don't play with the idea, get out there and do it!

Keep us posted ,great project....

Road Devil's National Officer LD39's Avatar
    Well done guys, this is what its all about. Whats your timetable? How soon do you think it will take to make it move?
    National Vice President ROAD DEVILS C.C. OHIO

No specific timetable at this point. It would be awesome if we were nearing completion by next spring, but I'm not sure how doable that is.

The next immediate goal is to sort the rear suspension and make it into a roller. That's what we'll be working toward with next month's meeting anyway

Road Devil's National Officer LD39's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Antiwork;6736]No specific timetable at this point. It would be awesome if we were nearing completion by next spring, but I'm not sure how doable that is.

The next immediate goal is to sort the rear suspension and make it into a roller. That's what we'll be working toward with next month's meeting anyway

So I guess TROG is out of the question this year?
    National Vice President ROAD DEVILS C.C. OHIO

It would take a miracle