Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PA chapter race car

For some reason I thought I uploaded these a while back? Oh well. Back from World Run, time to start hitting this thing harder. A couple meetings ago, we went back and more or less finished off the front end:

Front end setup by lehman.brad, on Flickr

Pretty sure that the spring is going to contact the bottom of the frame rails... creating a little notch here for clearance. We'll box it in when we're doing final welding.

At the beginning of the project we decided we didn't want to spring for a dropped axle, but we wanted to drop the front end down some. We've already moved the front crossmember back and now we're finishing off the job: hanging the spring from the bones. The perches will be trimmed and welded solid once we get the mockup a little further along. I want to make 100% sure that the angle is correct so there is no binding. That will have to wait a minute.

More to come...
    aka: Brad Lehman
    President: Road Devils CC Pennsylvania

Starting to work through the rest of the chassis stuff. Getting the center crossmember in place, raising the rear crossmember to drop the back a little bit...

Rear suspension setup by lehman.brad, on Flickr

We originally had the A crossmember mounted below the kick up. That set the ride height a bit too high, so we moved it up...

I think I mentioned at one point that we're trying to do this cheap. I have a nice F1 crossmember that came off a truck from Arizona. We won't be using that one. Instead, we'll be using the one I got for free (bottom) that some crazy ass farmer torched the center out of...

Patched back together... more to come

After a little head scratching, we figured out where we wanted to set the crossmember. This was a little odd for our application... we're setting the motor back a little bit. Plus, we want to use their crossmember as a mounting point for the rear suspension. More on that later...

One thing to note here: If you do this F1 crossmember swap, you must align the top flange of the crossmember flush with the top flange of the frame rails. We put ours below and the pedals are not going to clear the frame properly... which is going to make more work for us. Learn from our mistake...

Still need to build the trans mount, but that's pretty simple.

We're making our 36 radius rods into a wishbone. Here are the parts we're using: front model a wishbone yoke and ball mount.

Getting from the previous picture to this one was a LOT of head scratching. Lots of angles at play, lots of measuring, but that part is done.

So this is basically where our project sits now. I'm working on the body a little bit (building sub rails and trying to straighten some panels a bit. Next meeting we'll build motor and trans mounts and hopefully start boxing the chassis...

So, another update. Today we tried to focus on getting the engine and trans mounts sorted out. We had some friends stop by and lend a hand which was cool since we were down a couple brothers due to family stuff...

Engine and Trans Mounts by lehman.brad, on Flickr

We had to trim the crossmember that we patched back together a little bit to get the proper angle on the engine/trans

Difficult to see here, but we just put some pieces of angle on the front/back side of the crossmember to locate the biscuits. Also note: the biscuits we're using are actually hockey pucks. Total cost for all 4 biscuits: $8. I chucked them up in the lathe and bored the centers out to run the bolts through. The two that will be used for the engine mounts also got a taper put on them so they would clear the water pumps.

With the trans mounts sorted out, we started on the engine mounts. Nothing crazy here, just some 2x3 tube that we carved up. These ended up a little more involved than most because of how we're trying to position the motor... it needs to be higher in the chassis to clear the front crossmember that we moved back. Not a real big deal...

Brother Jack tacking in some mounts...

Finished trans mounts: these will be refined a little after we box the chassis and do all the finished welding...

Finished engine mounts: these will be refined a little after we box the chassis and do all the finished welding. I'm thinking about welding some 1/4" plate inside the frame and threading it to work kind of like a captive nut since the whole frame is getting boxed.

Not shown: We ripped apart the front and rear brakes to pull the wheel cylinders out. Jack is going to work on those between now and next meeting. While we were messing around switching motors in and out, Jack dumped some Mystery Oil in the motor we're hoping to run. The plan is to try to test fire that motor next month. My friend Jim made patterns for all of the boxing plates. In my spare time I've been working on trying to turn our pile of loose body panels into an actual body. When we bought the 27 roadster body, there were no subrails so I've had to fabricate most everything. It's slow going, but I should have something to show for the effort soon.

Anyone else working on a car for TROG/World Run 2019?
    Last edited by Antiwork; 07-22-2017 at 08:27 PM.