Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Mopar Robs 26 Dodge Brother Coupe

Road Devil's Member Rob Caldwell's Avatar
    Hahaha well this whole destroked build has been a learning curve for sure. Using an oddball factory race crank has presented numerous challenges. One issue was the crank had a register for a flywheel and none of the early hemi cranks have this so I needed to turn down a later model 426 eight bolt steel flywheel so I could press on a new 130 tooth 340 small block ring gear.

I also made a register for the ID of the crank to locate the crank register due to wanting the crank to be hub-centric and make it easier to bolt up. Quick and easy 6061T6 ring.

The last item to turn out was a flanged pilot bushing. The standard ones for a small block mopar have too small of an OD so I cut one out and added a flange to keep it from dropping to far in the crank

Haha I guess the easiest way would to have just lopped off the crank resister but I like doing everything possible the hard way!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rob Caldwell; 07-15-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Not sure if anyone actually reads this stuff but the rotating assembly is finally all together for the last time and it's money. got a solid 0.0022 across the board for oil clearance on all the mains. it was the line bore job that was not correct, really sucked having to go though all that to prove to the machinest that it was his work that was fucked. I got a solid 0.002 on all the rods, I was a bit iffy running the coated bearings but they fit perfect and no issues at all.

the timing set was giving me some troubles but after turning out a spacer and welding it to the cam gear and facing it for the correct depth it's all good. still have to measure for push rod length to finish up the long block.

I really dig the look of a v-belt drive for a blower but it has been a lot of work to get it done. originally I wanted to run a Dyers setup but nothing fit due to me wanting to run a mechanical fuel pump...... so I have been whittling out roughly a 2" hub spacer to correctly locate the water pump drive pulley and fit my blower pulleys to it. so far ive built all the pulleys & spacers to be hub centric and they all locate on a 2" register. I can say I'll probably never turn out another blower v-belt drive, I'll just hunt down a Gilmer 2" drive and be done with it! hahaha

I still read this stuff! Looking awesome rob. Glad to hear you figured out the rotating issue.

Road Devil's Member
    Same here. What a job indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    I still read this stuff! Looking awesome rob. Glad to hear you figured out the rotating issue.
    Hey bud! Hahaha well I'm glad someone reads this stuff! Yeah the whole bearing issue was the line bore job done by the machine shop, and after three or four tires they got it dialed in. I had to stress to them only to work the center caps because I didn't want the rear main cap cut to much and leave me with a leaky rear main seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Same here. What a job indeed.

haha it's a labor of love and hopefully soon I'll get it fired up before the winter weather arrives!

Back at it again after moving north and taking a new position. I've been getting at the coupe every chance I get. after I got the bottom end all sorted out and the cam degreed in I found out that for some reason the intake pushrod tube's in the head we causing the intakes to slightly bend when the adjuster on the rocker arm was run down. That meant over sizing the bores to a half inch which solved part of the problem and running a 5/16 diameter rod clearance it almost perfectly. Thank you Greg at Smith Brothers for sending out a new set of intakes!

As of lately it's been all the smalls that have been taking so long to get done. Shit like insulating the fuEl line and clearancing the entire front drive for the supercharger and fan to making solid monuts for the radiator...... hahaha the smalls just keep coming.

I am pretty happy about how the gas pedal and throttle linkage came out. I ended up making ends and adapting an old clutch cabe I had to work.

I almost forgot but one of the major hurdles was turning out a crank spacer to correctly locate the flywhell. for some reason this crank had a receded flange instead of being flush like all other early hemi cranks. Thank you Nick for letting me come over and make a mess on your mill till I could find one!
    20181102_172409.jpg20181103_120756.jpg20180804_190230.jpg20181108_194606.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Caldwell; 11-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.