Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford wagon

Road Devil's Member
    Been hammering on the floor pans, both literally and figuratively. (Sorry for the late nights Sean). And I am just about done with the passenger side, just the toe-board left to go.
    One thing that I wondering about is seam-sealer. Any good recommendations on what you've all used? I have lap welded and plug welded the pans, with a 1/2 inch overlap...
    My welding skills are not 100% so I took this route over trying to get clean Butt-welds. Inside its not such a big deal, just about any sealer seems okay, however, on the underside there are some small gaps and spaces where the lap is a little open.. I think I can just fill it and blend out the seam, like caulking tile...
    Any thoughts, or preferences?

If you are going to use a caulking type product,make sure its the outdoor stuff used for windows.We use to sell a product by Sashco called Big Stretch.It comes in black and works really well from what customers told me..Home Depot amd Lowes both carry it..
    =================================================
    President-Road Devils CC Nor-Cal Chapter

Find an auto paint store (like City Paints in SF) and get proper seam sealer, they make panel glue and sealer that is as strong as welds. Well sorta.
    chicken and biscuits

Road Devil's Member

Ford wagon

Yeah, I figure that just getting something off the shelf or of the web will be the route I go. (Eastwood/TCP offer lots of things) Solid, epoxy, brush-able etc etc

I am just looking for opinions or experiences with something that anyone liked/hated. As long as it solidifies fell and doesn't peel I will probably be happy, I just want to make sure my new panels don have holes from the underside In 3 years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Road Devil's Member
    Pics to come soon, but the entire floor is in... I have to clean up the welds and probably touch a a few up spots but all the big work is finished. After cleaning it all up I'll seal and paint the inside.. Then I'll lift it up and get the underside.

Glad to get this far as the new baby is due in a week and a half, I have been hitting the wagon hard so at least I can cruise it on weekends till I get some more time to keep the upgrades going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great news John...Keep us posted on the arrival of the latest member to the family!

I peeked in the wagon today while I was at the raunch..The floors look really good John! I can't wait to take a cruise soon.

Road Devil's Member
    Thanks Ed. The floor got a coat of paint last week and looks pretty good.
    I've moved on to the seats, since every time I touched them they added 1/2 of foam dust to the floor, or I am afraid if getting hantavirus... Here are some pics. From where they are to my progress of a first muslin mockup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road Devil's Member
    So here are the pics:
    Here is where I started.
    [URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/JCumiskey/media/1958%20Country%20Sedan/05D6979B-80E1-475E-960A-F92A7C88E7C3.jpg.html]

After cleaning and painting springs, I added canvas over them, rebuilt the burlap with the wires in it.

After I took all the covers apart I made muslin mockups: which I actually left in as an intermediate layer between foams..

Stitching the materials:

A layer of 1" Dacron and they look pretty good.

Far from perfect, but considering new seats all in all under $200 I will live with it.

Road Devil's Member
    Oops, those are are my progress pics.. Her is what I started with: