Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opened up a shop. Kind of.

Opened up a shop. Kind of.

All my life I have worked on and off on people's junk. 2 years ago I bought the family property and moved out of the city. I now have a place to build a nice garage. The property sits hi on a hill so the name was already being used by everyone so it stuck, Hilltop Hot Rods. When I let the word out that I was taking on work I got slammed. For the last 4 months I have a waiting list going on and cars sitting around waiting for me to get to them. I am still a little bit taken back by all this. I don't even have a garage built yet. After some thought I think that is some of the reason people come here. True back yard, shade tree, old school hot rod building. I stick with the older cars unless they are really cool. I still find it funny when someone ask me to body drop an S10 or build a hood for a Honda. When I tell them no they look like you just stole their baby. Why not? I simply say it's just not cool. Pictures are random. I just pray everything works out. As of now I have no time to even build a garage so it may be this winter. If not I'll keep doing what I'm doing in the space I have. Little 1 1/2 car garage with a lean too and a 2 car pole building.

This GMC was a cool build. A guy bought it for his aging Grandfather. He never had an old hot rod and always wanted one. It came here a stock long bed with a bad engine and frame. If left with a restored factory short bed frame with a souped up Chevy V8 with cam, humper heads and more. Power brakes and some other stuff to make it easier on the old man to drive it. Outside was left bone stock. You would never know it had been messed with unless you hear it start.

Some of you from Ohio may know the owner of the little white Stude. That's John Howard's car. Drove it in with a 6 banger two days later it went out with a nice 327 under the hood. It was suppose to be a pull and drop but the engine had water in it when I got it. Took a day to go through it and get it right. Get the right engine mounts and fabbed up a trans cross member. It was a tight squeeze. Steering on those stink. It was coming back to get a straight axle but after it got the 327 it was traded off for a early Falcon gasser.

Didn't really want to fool with this 68 RS Camaro. Yuppie bought this car for $17,500.00 thinking he's going to flip it and make some money. He never looked under the car. Trunk was gone and well as a wiring nightmare. I put a trunk in it ran new gas line, wiring and more. He was so happy he left his new car trailer here for me to use. Nice to have someone that will be return customer with deep pockets.

Been some other stuff float in and out. This is the one I'm on now. Old Chevy truck. It came here in pieces. Everything that you can unbolt and loose is off this rig. Should be a fun build. It gets under my skin sometime dealing with John J Public. Sometime people want something that is just not what I see. I listen but in the end if it doesn't fit I won't do it. If they don't like it they can take it some place else. It's been a strange life ride these last couple years but I'm happier now than I have been in a long time.

Road Devil's Member Blue Eyed Devil's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Steve. You manage to get a hell of a lot of work done for a crippled old man.

Figured out a long time ago If I stay busy I don't have time to get in trouble. Sad they would even toss a gimp in jail.

Road Devil's Member Blue Eyed Devil's Avatar

Haha you got that right! Maybe that's why I stay busy too...

I'll be comming up over the hill in a couple weeks to visit.....
    YOU CAN SLEEP IN YOUR CAR.....BUT YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR HOUSE