Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed parts for the 230 flathead dodge?

Here's an intake that is for sale locally. I could help facilitate shipping and pick up if you covered the costs:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/4805676505.html

PS- if you want to move a heavier car around "easier" get a larger engine. Trying to get a 230ci flathead dodge to act like a V8 will financially break you no matter how you cut it, it just ain't worth it. If you are ok with cruisin low and slow you are fine. If you want to keep up with modern cars you should consider other options. If you want to stay with a 6cyl. Consider swapping it out to a mopar slant 6, Ford 300 or Chevy 292, they are great for low end torque which is what you need to get a heavy car up and moving easier. Plus they have hydraulic lifters which means more efficiency and less rocker noise, fullpressure oiling, insert bearings (rather than poured babbits), and there is a fairly well supported aftermarket for them (Langdon, Clifford, Offenhauser, Sissle, etc). Keep us updated whatever you do.
    Last edited by Jon; 01-05-2015 at 08:22 PM.

PPS- You could also probably retrofit a 6cyl jeep engine and trans like out of the 1990's Jeep Cherokees without too much trouble. They were pretty good and can be converted to carbureted as far as I know.

If yiu need some insight on a slant six, I don't know a ton but I have dine a lot of research for mine. It's expensive but I'm enjoying the task.
    President
    Boston Chapter
    Road Devils CC

Jon, apparently you have never driven around in a built 230 or for that fact a built 201. I keep up just fine with traffic with the 201 that was in it, on an interstate with 80mph speed limits. The 230 will get me extra ooompfh and a little more fun, 100 mph cruisin speeds at 28mpg. I spent 2k on 230 rebuild. OD trans gave me extra with no true extra cost, I was rebuilding anyway. Typical cost for any rebuild, then additional for period Edmunds head. I personally don't believe in transplants that are unneeded... Which, in this case is very much unneeded. The flathead mopar is just as good, if not better than any 6 out there if done right, for the same price and a whole lot cooler!

We pulled the Cadillac big block out of my 41 Plymouth and put a mopar flat6 back in it. It cruised to TROG and back with 350s.

There are a ton of flathead6 products out there, George Asche can build you one that will run like a V8, for $3500. I don't think that is breaking the bank. That's as wild as you can get it and that's without you doing anything but making a phone call. My 230, I did the tear down and searching for parts myself... I saved a little that way.

Good luck either way you go, but I definitely wouldn't do the swap for a more modern motor, but I believe in traditional hot rods and that the old motors and steel can keep up without modern motors.
    ***previously owned by a nymphomaniac who only used the back seat***
    Mikie "Moonshine" Merritt

Offenhauser dual intake $250 from speedway or reds. Edgy makes one too... One stop shop

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Jon, apparently you have never driven around in a built 230 or for that fact a built 201. I keep up just fine with traffic with the 201 that was in it, on an interstate with 80mph speed limits. The 230 will get me extra ooompfh and a little more fun, 100 mph cruisin speeds at 28mpg. I spent 2k on 230 rebuild. OD trans gave me extra with no true extra cost, I was rebuilding anyway. Typical cost for any rebuild, then additional for period Edmunds head. I personally don't believe in transplants that are unneeded... Which, in this case is very much unneeded. The flathead mopar is just as good, if not better than any 6 out there if done right, for the same price and a whole lot cooler!

We pulled the Cadillac big block out of my 41 Plymouth and put a mopar flat6 back in it. It cruised to TROG and back with 350s.

There are a ton of flathead6 products out there, George Asche can build you one that will run like a V8, for $3500. I don't think that is breaking the bank. That's as wild as you can get it and that's without you doing anything but making a phone call. My 230, I did the tear down and searching for parts myself... I saved a little that way.

Good luck either way you go, but I definitely wouldn't do the swap for a more modern motor, but I believe in traditional hot rods and that the old motors and steel can keep up without modern motors.

I've been around my share of inline 6 engines.

In the first post the OP asked for budget ideas. $2k of engine building and a $1500-2k+ trans swap doesn't sound very budget to me.

I believe that "traditional" was tossed out the window when 5spds and superchargers started being mentioned. I think we could also disagree on an A833 OD transmission being traditional.

I use and have used inline 6s in the past. They certainly have their place and their merit. I have also used V8s (just a few). I can tell you that as a personal opinion, I don't see much need to spend $3500 trying to get an engine to "run like a v8", when you could just have the V8 in first place for 1/2-1/3 of the investment. That said, I understand the need for some people to feel like they are different somehow by spending lots of money to prove it or just for the challenge. There's nothing wrong with an I6, but an I6 is an I6. There are just better, less expensive I6 options out there than the flathead 230 that are worth exploring if the OP desires.

I think that it's pretty tough to deny the benefits of a more modern motor no matter the case. What you are talking about is using gearing to compensate for less motor. While I was just suggesting more motor. Two different viewpoints.

Either way it will be interesting to see what route the OP takes to get his desired results now that he has lots of info.

There is a good thread on the hamb about a guy trying to soup up a flat 230 to use in a model A. Maybe he could get some inspiration there. Another fella over there that goes by moose is already running one that he worked over pretty well.

An A833 into a 34 plymouth trans box, is just a rebuild. Traditional hot rodding at its best.

Building a motor for 2k is budget, trans was $500. You start doing a swap, you are double that fairly easy and quickly. You have to redo steering, mounts, cross members, fly wheels, new transmissions, drive lines, and rear ends. So your 1/3 -1/2 argument is invalid unless you are starting with a bare frame.

However, 250 for offy dual carb and splitting your manifold is budget. I built a 230 because I wanted to save my matching number motor for my 34. All improvements I do, can be undone and she can go back to original. The 201 was running pretty damn sweet! I wanted to be different, because staying stock or building what you got is how this game started. I am tired of seeing sbc in everything cause it's easy or cheap. It's cookie cutter!

I don't think it is hard to justify not doing a modern motor, unless you pull a body out of the woods and start from scratch. Minor improvements to these old engines and braking systems and they are as good as modern.

The $3500 Goerge Asche motor is hot roding at its finest. I don't think you can build any hit V8 for much cheaper...

But, we will just disagree.

My old buddy Jack's family owned a body shop......He dropped a 331 hemi in his '34 ford roadster within 2 months of them coming out in '52, is that not traditional? what about the 265 chevy motor in Bruce's 31 coupe in '55....not traditional.....

overhead valve V-8's were swapped into cars since 1948....caddy and olds OHV motors. When I was a kid you couldn't give a flathead motor away for scrap.....

It wasn't till recently "traditional" became cool.....

IMO it makes more sense to use a drive train that you can buy parts for anywhere......that is if you want to drive your car everyday.
    YOU CAN SLEEP IN YOUR CAR.....BUT YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR HOUSE

So, you can buy a 331 Hemi or a 265 anywhere, for cheaper than you can rebuild your inline you already have? Rebuilder core for any baby Hemi is $1500 before you crack it open. A 265 is gonna cost you a grand and doesn't have oil filter.

Op asked what he could do to get more from his 230, not what motor could he swap in.

A "budget" V8 swap is still going to cost you more in the long run, especially in Norway. SBC are cutie cutter... And oh, my 230 was used through the 70's, I can buy parts at any parts house.