Thread: Shop Owner

Shop Owner

Hey guys I think I want to own a car shop. Are any of you owners? Do you have any advice for someone just starting out? Im going to finish at State soon and I want to invest in something I like.

I owned for 6 months, my clientele was too spread out and I didn't have enough money saved to hang on. Rent up my way is too expensive and I have a wife to help financially. I had to leave my partnership to find work. I don't regret it at all though and may do it again.

So with that said, you need to save and save and save more than you can imagine. There will be dry spells but hang in there. I also got a loan from my mother-in-law, so payment is not as harsh. Don't buy too much shop equipment, a lift, air compressor, scan tool and your big ass tool box will get you started. It will keep the price down, because the city and state are gonna want a lot of money from you.

It was a great learning experience and I hope to do it all over again. A little wiser.
    chicken and biscuits

Danny....I've had my shop for over 20 years. We started out doing custom paint, than lots of paint on new cars for dealers.....there is never enough money so you start doing other work.......mechanical.....suspension.....started spraying bedliners.......built a huge garage......bought a pipe bender.......worked 10 years with hardly any money for us, paid off the garage......sprayed blast mitigation in government buildings up and down the east coast to pay back the loans and taxes......don't forget the taxes.....

Nico graduates from high school and takes over the shop.....I get a part time job to help him, it turns into a full time job....got tired of working for other people, so back to the shop for a couple years........ sold my houses, moved to the warehouse to keep the money where we make it.....this spring I found a really good job in Ohio to help Nico keep going.....now I'm moving to Ohio.....The plan is to work 10 or 15 years, retire, come back to the shop and work on my junk while Nico makes money.....

It"s not an easy path .....but better than working for some other douche bag....
    Last edited by cafone; 07-20-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    YOU CAN SLEEP IN YOUR CAR.....BUT YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR HOUSE

You know, Im thinking about this for real now. I don't know anything about anything yet but listening to you two talk about this hard but happy place in your lives makes me wonder why I should not try it. After all whats the worst that can happen? Even FLynpig said he would try again, I might bug you guys again in the future. Thank you