Thread: TIG welding Brass & copper

Road Devil's Member Rob Caldwell's Avatar

TIG welding Brass & copper

It's been a good minute snice I was able to get on the forum, but now that I've settled in here in northern Virginia &the he moving and unpacking done and the delpoyment finished I've been back on the coupe.

I'm getting around to updating the build thread here in a few weeks but today I was playing around with trying to TIG some brass sheet together and prepping to try copper next.

So far I did two test runs and they turned out ok, I'm gonna have to get some pointers from you LD! hahaha

so this was a combination of running positive electrode DC, strait argon, lanthanated tungsten and roughly 60 amps and working the puddle initially hot and then backing down after the puddle forms with the push pull method. I haven't really looked into how to do it correctly this is just what worked good for me today playing around.

the goal is to play around with this and see how I can work it and eventually move over to purish copper.
    id like to make a copper radiator overflow tank and other small stuff for the coupe and future projects .20181112_144313.jpg

Road Devil's National Officer LD39's Avatar
    Harris makes a rod called Blockade and Blockade FC, this is a brazing rod. I've used is and it works well. Harris makes a few other rods that might do the trick too but I haven't run them. Blue Demon also makes a few filler metals that would work well for this. I think brazing might be the answer but you can certainly TIG these alloys together with the right filler. I'd contact the manufacturer's directly and pick their brain, that's what I do when I'm trying something new.
    National Vice President ROAD DEVILS C.C. OHIO

Road Devil's Member Rob Caldwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LD39 View Post
    Harris makes a rod called Blockade and Blockade FC, this is a brazing rod. I've used is and it works well. Harris makes a few other rods that might do the trick too but I haven't run them. Blue Demon also makes a few filler metals that would work well for this. I think brazing might be the answer but you can certainly TIG these alloys together with the right filler. I'd contact the manufacturer's directly and pick their brain, that's what I do when I'm trying something new.
    LD thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm gonna try and get over to the National Welders today after work and see if they stock those braising rods or a similar filler material.

I ran those butt welds with no filler and worked slowly with varying heat. I'm going to get some copper tubing and see if I can make a small overflow tank for my radiator.