Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The '39's not-so Golden Years

Road Devil's Member Rob Caldwell's Avatar
    I'm a bit late on this but have you traced down the cause? it sounds like you've been through the whole front end..... steering u-joints, steering box, mount and linkage, kjngpins, axle, bones, and tires. I know this sounds stupid but have you checked your front hub bearings?

The stock ford tapered roller bearings are I bit small in my opinion when you think of them supporting a flat 4 and top speed of 55mph vs most of us who shoehorn a big block or hemi and run regularly at highway speeds or faster. I'm curious to see what you find and what the root cause of your speed wobble is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Road Devil's National Officer LD39's Avatar
    I replaced the bearings. The biggest improvement was made when I discovered the 3 bolts on the cap of my vega box were a little loose. I pulled them out, cleaned them and put Lock tight on them. This helped a lot. Many of the other parts that I replaced were in need given how hard I drive the truck, now with a full spool in the rear end its only gonna get worse. I think that at the end of th day, the Speedway vega box that i've been running for years (now I'm on #3) is a piece of shit. I'd like to find a manufacturer who builds high quality vega boxes that can take the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Caldwell View Post
    I'm a bit late on this but have you traced down the cause? it sounds like you've been through the whole front end..... steering u-joints, steering box, mount and linkage, kjngpins, axle, bones, and tires. I know this sounds stupid but have you checked your front hub bearings?

The stock ford tapered roller bearings are I bit small in my opinion when you think of them supporting a flat 4 and top speed of 55mph vs most of us who shoehorn a big block or hemi and run regularly at highway speeds or faster. I'm curious to see what you find and what the root cause of your speed wobble is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    National Vice President ROAD DEVILS C.C. OHIO

Yeah slop in the steering gearbox will definitely cause instabilities. Have you considered trying one of them Flaming River Vega boxes? I know they are a little pricy but they are advertised as American Made vs the typical Chinese junk that Speedway can sometimes sell.

Quote Originally Posted by LD39 View Post
    I replaced the bearings. The biggest improvement was made when I discovered the 3 bolts on the cap of my vega box were a little loose. I pulled them out, cleaned them and put Lock tight on them. This helped a lot. Many of the other parts that I replaced were in need given how hard I drive the truck, now with a full spool in the rear end its only gonna get worse. I think that at the end of th day, the Speedway vega box that i've been running for years (now I'm on #3) is a piece of shit. I'd like to find a manufacturer who builds high quality vega boxes that can take the abuse.

I have one on the shelf thats beat. The last time I got a price to get it rebuilt, it was almost as much as a new one. I'll try again and see how much it'll be. New they're around $450.

Yeah slop in the steering gearbox will definitely cause instabilities. Have you considered trying one of them Flaming River Vega boxes? I know they are a little pricy but they are advertised as American Made vs the typical Chinese junk that Speedway can sometimes sell.

Flaming River has a brand new 16:1 quick ratio box that advertised as all American made for $650. Hahaha thats way too much money to throw at a steering gearbox though.

Hell if i were in that situation I’d scour the salvage yards for a Vega box and rebuild it at the house and see if that made anything better...... Im a cheap ass though! Unless its a engine, I always overdo engines that i build.

I have one on the shelf thats beat. The last time I got a price to get it rebuilt, it was almost as much as a new one. I'll try again and see how much it'll be. New they're around $450.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/d...336812551.html

Hereís a new Vega box for 85$ if your interested. Itís a Flaming River unit too!

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/d...336812551.html

Here’s a new Vega box for 85$ if your interested. It’s a Flaming River unit too!

Appreciate the find but I debate it being new. Look at the adjustment screw, it looks like its been run in and run back out. I'd like to find another manufacturer of these boxes that's not Chinese and not Flaming River, if possible....

Appreciate the find but I debate it being new. Look at the adjustment screw, it looks like its been run in and run back out. I'd like to find another manufacturer of these boxes that's not Chinese and not Flaming River, if possible....
    Hahaha no biggie, ill keep an eye out and if i see one ill post it up.